Hi,

I would like to experiment with some custom load balancers to help with query
latency in the face of long gc pauses and the odd time-consuming query that we
need to be able to support. At the moment setting the socket timeout via the
HttpShardHandlerFactory does help, but of course it can only be set to a length
of time as long as the most time consuming query we are likely to receive.

For example perhaps a load balancer that sends multiple queries concurrently to
all/some replicas and only keeps the first response might be effective. Or
maybe a load balancer which takes account of the frequency of timeouts would be
able to recognize zombies more effectively.

To use alternative load balancer implementations cleanly and without having to
hack solr directly, I would need to be able to make the existing
LBHttpSolrServer and HttpShardHandlerFactory more amenable to extension, I can
then override the default load balancer using solr's plugin mechanism.

So my question is, if I made a patch to make the load balancer more pluggable,
is this something that would be acceptable and if so what do I do next?

Phil

"brightsolid" is used in this email to collectively mean brightsolid online
innovation limited and its subsidiary companies brightsolid online publishing
limited and brightsolid online technology limited.
findmypast.co.uk is a brand of brightsolid online publishing limited.
brightsolid online innovation limited, Gateway House, Luna Place, Dundee
Technology Park, Dundee DD2 1TP.  Registered in Scotland No. SC274983.
brightsolid online publishing limited, The Glebe, 6 Chapel Place, Rivington
Street, London EC2A 3DQ. Registered in England No. 04369607.
brightsolid online technology limited, Gateway House, Luna Place, Dundee
Technology Park, Dundee DD2 1TP.  Registered in Scotland No. SC161678.

Email Disclaimer

This message is confidential and may contain privileged information. You should
not disclose its contents to any other person. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify the sender named above immediately. It is expressly
declared that this e-mail does not constitute nor form part of a contract or
unilateral obligation. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of brightsolid shall be
This email has been scanned by the brightsolid Email Security System. Powered
by MessageLabs