Michael is correct, that was what was said at the bootcamp (by me). I
believe this may not be correct though.

Further code review shows that Solr 4.0 was already distributing documents
using the hash range technique used in 4.1. The big change in 4.1 was that
a composite hash key could be used to distribute docs around the hash
range. But docs that don't use the composite key would be distributed
similarly to 4.0.

So, you may not need to re-index to take advantage of shard splitting. This
will become more clear as shard splitting documentation becomes available.