I pretty sure that the boost function is going load up the fieldCache for
that field, which will have the same memory footprint as sorting.

You may want to try out disk based doc values (new 4.2). Documentation is
sparse on this but you can specify a field as being docValues="true" and
set it to a field type where docValuesFormat="Disk"

example:

   <field name="rec_time" type="date_disk" indexed="true" required="true"
multiValued="false" docValues="true" default="NOW" />

    <fieldType name="date_disk" class="solr.TrieDateField"
precisionStep="0" docValuesFormat="Disk" positionIncrementGap="0"/>