You should be fine for synonym and other schema changes since they are unrelated to the IndexWriter.

But... if you are using synonyms in your "index" analyzer, as opposed to in your "query" analyzer, then you need to do a full reindex anyway, which is best done by deleting the contents of the Solr data directory for the collection and restarting Solr and resending all of the source documents.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: Kaneyama Genta
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2013 5:11 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: How to update synonyms.txt without restart?

Dear all,

I investigating how to update synonyms.txt.
Some people says CORE RELOAD will reload synonyms.txt.

But solr wiki says:
```
Starting with Solr4.0, the RELOAD command is implemented in a way that
results a "live" reloads of the SolrCore, reusing the existing various
objects such as the SolrIndexWriter. As a result, some configuration
options can not be changed and made active with a simple RELOAD...
```
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin#RELOAD

And https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3592 is marked as unresolved.

Problem is How can I update synonyms.txt in production environment?
Workaround is restart Solr process. But it is not looks good for me.

Will someone tell me what is the best practice of synonyms.txt updating?

Thanks in advance.