I've used zookeeper's cli to do this. I doubt its the right way and I have
no idea if it'll work for clusterstate.json, but it seems to work for
certain things.

cd /opt/zookeeper/bin
./zkCli.sh -server 127.0.0.1:2183 set /configs/collection1/schema.xml "`cat
/tmp/newschema.xml`"
sleep 10  # give a lil time to get pushed out
curl "
http://localhost:8080/solr/admin/cores?wt=json&action=RELOAD&core=collection1
"

This is on zk 3.4.5

--
Nate Fox
Sr Systems Engineer

o: 310.658.5775
m: 714.248.5350

Follow us @NEOGOV <http://twitter.com/NEOGOV> and on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/neogov>

NEOGOV <http://www.neogov.com/> is among the top fastest growing software
companies in the USA, recognized by Inc 500|5000, Deloitte Fast 500, and
the LA Business Journal. We are hiring!<http://www.neogov.com/#/company/careers>