If you don't re-open the searcher, you will not see new changes. So,
if you only have hard commit, you never see those changes (until
restart). But if you also have soft commit enabled, that will re-open
your searcher for you.

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)