Yeah, you can't do that. You'll need to keep a copy of whichever value from the multi-valued field you wish to be considered "the" value in a separate, non-multi-valued field. Possibly using an update processor, such as one of:

FirstFieldValueUpdateProcessorFactory, LastFieldValueUpdateProcessorFactory, MaxFieldValueUpdateProcessorFactory, MinFieldValueUpdateProcessorFactory

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: world hello
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2013 7:50 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: FW: howto: get the value from a multivalued field?

hi, all -
how can I retrieve the value out of a multivalued field in a customized function query?I want to implement a function query whose first parameter is a multi-value fileld, from which values are retrieved and manipulated. however, I used the code but get exceptions - "can not use FieldCache on multivalued field" /////////////////////////////public ValueSource parse(FunctionQParser fp) throws ParseException { try { ValueSource vs = fp.parseValueSource(); } catch (...) { }////////////////////////////
Thanks.
- Frank