You may wish to explore the concept of using the Result Grouping (Field
Collapsing) feature in which your paragraphs are individual documents that
share a field to group them by (the ID of the document/book/article/whatever).

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FieldCollapsing

This will net you absolutely isolated results for paragraphs, and give you a
great deal of flexibility on how to query the results in cases where you do or
do not need them grouped.

Jason