It may be helpful to approach this from the other side. Specifically search.

Are you:
1) Expecting to search across both French and English content (e.g.
French, but fallback to English if translation is missing)? If yes,
you want a single collection
2) Is French content completely separate from English content or are
they just a couple of translated fields in otherwise shared entity? If
later, you want a single collection.
3) Are you accessing all languages at once when you retrieve a record
or just one language at a time? If all languages at once, you want a
single collection.

And so on. If your content is completely separate, you could do
different collections. Otherwise, you probably want the same
collection.

If you do want a single collection, there is a couple of things you
can do to make it transparent for the frontend code to switch between
languages and make search transparent. While not a production use, it
is explored in details in my just released book:
http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-for-indexing-data/book . The
corresponding example is at:
https://github.com/arafalov/solr-indexing-book/tree/master/published/languages
but I am not sure how easy it is to understand without the walkthrough
in the book.

Regards,
   Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)