> Aleksey: What would you say is the average core size for your use case -
> thousands or millions of rows? And how sharded would each of your
> collections be, if at all?

Average core/collection size wouldn't even be thousands, hundreds more
like. And the largest would be half a million or so but that's a
pathological case. I don't need sharding and queries than fan out to
different machines. If fact I'd like to avoid that so I don't have to
collate the results.

> The Wiki page was built not for Cloud Solr.
>
> We have done such a deployment where less than a tenth of cores were active
> at any given point in time. though there were tens of million indices they
> were split among a large no:of hosts.
>
> If you don't insist of Cloud deployment it is possible. I'm not sure if it
> is possible with cloud

By Cloud you mean specifically SolrCloud? I don't have to have it if I
can do without it. Bottom line is I want a bunch of small cores to be
distributed over a fleet, each core completely fitting on one server.
Would you be willing to provide a little more details on your setup?
In particular, how are you managing the cores?
How do you route requests to proper server?
If you scale the fleet up and down, does reshuffling of the cores
happen automatically or is it an involved manual process?

Thanks,

Aleksey