indeed the actual syntax for per field facet is :

f.mysparefieldname.facet.method=enum

André

On 06/18/2013 09:00 PM, Petersen, Robert wrote:
Hi Andre,

Wow that is astonishing!  I will definitely also try that out!  Just set the
facet method on a per field basis for the less used sparse facet fields eh?
Thanks for the tip.

Thanks
Robi

-----Original Message-----
From: Andre Bois-Crettez [mailto:andre.b...@kelkoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:03 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: yet another optimize question

Recently we had steadily increasing memory usage and OOM due to facets on
dynamic fields.
The default facet.method=fc need to build a large array of maxdocs ints for
each field (a fieldCache or fieldValueCahe entry), whether it is sparsely
populated or not.

Once you have reduced your number of maxDocs with the merge policy, it can be
interesting to try facet.method=enum for all the sparsely populated dynamic
fields.
Despite what is said in the wiki, in our case the performance was similar to
facet.method=fc, however the JVM heap usage went down from about 20GB to 4GB.

André