On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM, PeterKerk <vettepa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I was reading this post:
> http://myjeeva.com/upgrade-migrate-solr-3x-to-solr-4.html
>
> However, under step 6 and 7 I'm unsure what to do:
>
>> Step 6: So remove old configuration section and add new one <indexConfig>
>
> Do I need to remove the entire nodes <indexDefaults> and <mainIndex>? What
> should I do with their content? Which nodes will the new <indexConfig>
> section contain?

Yes, remove the entire <indexDefaults> and <mainIndex> nodes and add
their contents in a new <indexConfig> section. Make sure to remove
duplicate nodes. Look at an example solrconfig.xml shipped with Solr
4.x to see what is supposed to be inside the <indexConfig> section
(note some of those configurations might be commented out in the
example config).

>> Step 7: Make a list of existing external library dependencies referred in
>> solrconfig.xml
>
> Where do I find those?

Does your Solr installation use any custom components? Basically is
there a mention of any class that doesn't start with solr.XXX or
org.apache.solr.XXX packages? During deployment, does your solr
installation contain additional jar files in your servlet container's
lib directories?

> And finally under:
>
>> What will happen to existing Solr Index?
>
> How do I know have "Classic Solr" or "SolrCloud"?

With 3.x you basically had what we call Classic Solr i.e. a
non-SolrCloud deployment which does not need a ZooKeeper installation.
On upgrading you can continue in the earlier non-cloud mode or switch
to SolrCloud to take advantages of its new features.