bq:  But looks like it is executing the search for an exact text based
match with the stem "burn".

Right. You need to appreciate index time as opposed to query time stemming.
Your field
definition has both turned on. The admin/analysis page will help here <G>..

At index time, the terms are stemmed, and _only_ the reduced term is put in
the index.
At query time, the same thing happens and _only_ the reduced term is
searched for.

By stemming at index time, you lose the original form of the word, it's
just gone and
nothing about checking/unchecking the "stem" bits will recover it. So the
general
solution is to index the field twice, once with stemming and once without
in order
to have the ability to do both stemmed and exact matches. I think I saw a
clever
approach to doing this involving a custom filter but can't find it now. As
I recall it
indexed the un-stemmed version like a synonym with some kind of marker
to indicate exact match when necessary....

Best
Erick