is it conceivable that there's too much traffic, causing Solr to stall
re-opening the searcher (thus releasing to the new index)?  I'm grasping at
straws, and this is beginning to bug me a lot.  The traffic logs wouldn't
seem to support this (apart from periodic health-check pings, the load is
distributed fairly evenly across 3 slaves by a load-balancer tool).  After
35+ minutes this morning, none of the three successfully "unstuck", and had
to be manually core-reloaded.

Is there perhaps a configuration element I'm overlooking that might make
solr a bit less "friendly" about it, and just dump the searchers/reopen
when replication completes?

As a side note, I'm getting really frustrated with trying to get log4j
logging on 4.3.1 set up; my tomcat container persists in complaining that
it cannot find log4j.properties, when I've put it in the WEB-INF/classes of
the war file, have SLF4j libraries AND log4j at the shared container "lib"
level, and log4j.debug turned on.  I can't find any excuses why it cannot
seem to locate the configuration.

Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!