Jack and Erick,
Thanks for your replies. I am able to replicate ext file fields by
specifying the relative paths for each individual file. confFiles in
solrconfig.xml is really long now with lot of "../" and I got 5 ext file
field files. Would be really nice if wild-cards were supported here :-).

About the reloadCache on slave: following
http://docs.lucidworks.com/display/solr/Working+with+External+Files+and+Processes
set up listeners to reload the ext file fields after commits. Since the
slave replicationHandler issues a commit after it replicates the files (as
mentioned in
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication#How_does_the_slave_replicate.3F),
I believe the ext file fields get reloaded to the slave cache after
replication. This is exactly what I was looking for.