I am trying to make a variable in fq optional,

Ex:

/select?first_name=peter&fq=$first_name&q=*:*

I don't want the above query to throw error or die whenever the variable
first_name is not passed to the query instead return the value corresponding
to rest of the query. I can use switch but its difficult to handle each and
every case using switch (as I need to handle switch for so many
variables)... Is there a way to resolve this via some other way?