Of course you may have some reasons to use Tomcat or anything else (i.e.
your stuff may have more experience at Tomcat etc.) However developers
generally runs Jetty because it is default for Solr and I should point that
Solr unit tests run against jetty (in fact, a specific version of Jetty)
and well tested (if you search in mail list you can find some conversations
about it). If you follow Solr developer list you may realize using a well
tested container or not. For example:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4716 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4584?focusedCommentId=13625276&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13625276can
show that there maybe some bugs for non Jetty containers and if you
choose any other container except for Jetty you can hit one of them.

If you want to look at the comparison of Jetty vs. Tomcat I suggest you
look at here:

http://www.openlogic.com/wazi/bid/257366/Power-Java-based-web-apps-with-Jetty-application-server

and here:

http://www.infoq.com/news/2009/08/google-chose-jetty