Alex, I am a beginner and I find it a really good idea. A new forum dedicated to understanding the features rather the missings would allow newcomers to post questions avoiding to mess up with solr-user list where people are already expert practitioners and prefer to see more targeted topics.
Let us know follow-up.
Andrea