Hi Shawn,

Thanks for your input.

Having spent some time today figuring out the path to upgrade, I concluded
that we have been using what is (and was in solr 3 and possibly earlier)
called a "core". A group of two cores (with different schemas) we (probably
mistakenly) referred to as a shard. That is, the shard was a larger
semantic "unit" or chunk of data that would repeat itself in configuration
along the time axis. Each shard would hold data from a particular time
period.

What's a bit confusing, is that, at least in my vocabulary, a collection is
similar to what the word "group" means. The confusion stems from the fact
that in a "core config" one defines a "collection". But, if we imagine a
series of cores created with the same schema, they could be united into a
"group" or a "collection". Although to me, as a user (if the above
explanation holds of course) a collection is an internal implementation
"detail".