Okay, let me explain. If you construct your combined response (why are you
doing that again?) in the form a Solr NamedList or SolrDocumentList then
the XMLResponseWriter (which btw uses TextResponseWriter) has no problem
writing it down as XML. The problem here is that you are giving it an
object (a DOM Document?) which it doesn't know how to serialize so it just
calls .toString on it and writes it out.

As long as you stick a known type into the SolrQueryResponse, you should be
fine.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.