Thanks James. That's it! Now:

http://localhost:8981/solr/articles/select?indent=true&q=Perfrm%20HVC&rows=0&maxCollationTries=0

returns:

<lst name="collation">
<str name="collationQuery">perform hvac</str>
<int name="hits">4</int>
<lst name="misspellingsAndCorrections">
<str name="perfrm">perform</str>
<str name="hvc">hvac</str>
</lst>
</lst>
<lst name="collation">
<str name="collationQuery">performed hvac</str>
<int name="hits">4</int>
<lst name="misspellingsAndCorrections">
<str name="perfrm">performed</str>
<str name="hvc">hvac</str>
</lst>
</lst>

If you have time, I'm still slightly unclear on the field element in the
spellcheck configuration. Maybe I should explain how I think it works:

1. You create a relatively unanalyzed field type (e.g. no stemming)
2. You copy text you want to be used to build the spellcheck index into
that field.
3. Build the spellcheck sidecar index (or noop if using DirectSpellChecker
in which case I assume it still uses the dedicated spellcheck field text
was copied into).

When executing a spellcheck request, solr uses the analyzer specified in
queryAnalyzerFieldType to tokenize the query passed in via the q or
spellcheck.q parameter and this tokenized text is the input the
spellcheckchecking instance.

Does that sound right?

Thanks
Brendan