Shawn had an interesting idea on another thread. It depends
on having basically an identity field (which I see how to do
manually, but don't see how to make work as a new field type
in a distributed environment). And it's brilliantly simple, just
a range query identity:{NNNN TO *]&sort=identity asc.

Then just keep replacing the NNN with the max value you
got in the last packet. Of course this doesn't work if you
need to rank the results, but as a way to process all documents
in a corpus it seems to work. It's certainly not a general solution
to deep paging, but for the limited data dump case...

You could keep from processing the same doc twice (let's
say a doc gets updated and the identity field gets bumped)
by getting the min and max at the start of the dump.

But life is complicated. Siiiigggh. Doesn't work for M/R jobs
that compose an index from pieces either.

FWIW,
Erick