Hi,
I have a slow storage machine and non sufficient RAM for the whole index to
store all the index. This causes the first queries (~5000) to be very slow
(they are read from disk and my cpu is most of time in iowait), and after
that the readings from the index become very fast and read mainly from
memory as the OS caching cached the most used parts of the index.
My concern is about new segments that are commited to disk, either merged
segments or newly formed segments.
My first thought was to deal with linux caching policy (to factor up the
caching of index files rather than uninverted files that are least
frequently used) to urge the "right" OS caching without having to
explicitly query the index for this to happen.
Secondly I thought of initiating a new searcher event listener that queries
on docs that were inserted since the last hard commit.
A new ability of solr 4.4 (solr 4761) is to configure a mergedSegmentWarmer
- how does this component work and is it good for my usecase?

Are there any other ideas for dealing this usecase? What would be your
proposal as most effective way to deal with it?