>A multivalued text field is directly equivalent to concatenating the
>values,
>with a possible position gap between the last and first terms of adjacent
>values.

That, in a nutshell, would be the problem. Maybe the discussion is over at
this point.

It could be I dumbed down the problem a bit too much for illustration
purposes. I'm actually doing phrase query matches with slop. As such, the
search phrase I'm interested in could easily be in more than one of the
(unique) values, and the score for each value-match could be very
different when considered alone.

For document scoring purposes, I don't care that (for example) I got a
sloppy match on one value if I got a nice phrase out of another value in
the same document. In fact, I explicitly want to ignore the fact that
there was also a sloppy match. I also don't care if the exact phrase
occurred in more than one value, and I don't want the case where it does
match more than one influencing that document's score.