1> That's hard-coded at present. There's anecdotal evidence that there
     are throughput improvements with larger batch sizes, but no action
     yet.
2> Yep, all searchers are also re-opened, caches re-warmed, etc.
3> Odd. I'm assuming your Solr3 was master/slave setup? Seeing the
    queries would help diagnose this. Also, did you try to copy/paste
    the configuration from your Solr3 to Solr4? I'd start with the
    Solr4 and copy/paste only the parts needed from your SOlr3 setup.

Best
Erick