Interesting, that did work. Do you or anyone else have any ideas or what I
should look at? While soft commit is not a requirement in my project, my
understanding is that it should help performance. On the same index, I will
be doing both a large number of queries as well as updates.

If I have to disable autoCommit, should I increase the chunk size?

Of course, I will have to run a more large scale test tomorrow, but I saw
this problem fairly consistently in my smaller test.

In a previous experiment, I applied the SOLR-4816 patch that someone
indicated might help. I also reduced the CSV upload chunk size to 500. It
seemed like things got a little better, but still eventually hung.

I also see SOLR-5081, but I don't know if that is my issue or not. At least
in my test, the index writes are not parallel as in the ticket.

-Kevin