I can reproduce something like this by specifying a field that doesn't
exist for a "qf" param.
This seems like a bug... if a field doesn't exist, we should throw an
exception (since it's a parameter error not related to the "q" string where
we avoid throwing any errors).

-Yonik
http://lucidworks.com