On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM, Amit Jha <shanuu....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would you like to create something like
> http://knimbus.com

I work at the National Library of Medicine.   We are moving our library
catalog to a newer platform, and we will probably include articles.   The
article's content and meta-data are available from a number of web-scale
discovery services such as PRIMO, Summon, EBSCO's EDS, EBSCO's "traditional
API".   Most libraries use open source solutions to avoid the cost of
purchasing an expensive enterprise search platform.   We are big; we
already have a closed-source enterprise search engine (and our own home
grown Entrez search used for PubMed).    Since we can already do Federated
Search with the above, I am evaluating the effort of adding such to Apache
Solr.   Because NLM data is used in the open relevancy project, we actually
have the relevancy decisions to decide whether we have done a good job of
it.

I obviously think it would be "Fun" to add Federated Search to Apache Solr.

*Standard disclosure *- my opinion's do not represent the opinions of NIH
or NLM.    "Fun" is no reason to spend tax-payer money.    Enhancing Apache
Solr would reduce the risk of "putting all our eggs in one basket." and
there may be some other relevant benefits.

We do use Apache Solr here for more than one other project... so keep up
the good work even if my working group decides to go with the closed-source
solution.