Hey Alejandro,

I guess it means what you call "more than one instance".

The request handlers are at the core-level, and not the Solr instance/global level, and within each of those cores you could have one or more data import handlers.

Most setups have 1 DIH per core at the handler location "/dataimport", but I believe you could have several, ie: "/dataimport2", "/dataimport3" if you had different DIH configs for each handler.

Within a single data import handler, you can have several "entities", which are what explain to the DIH processes how to get/index the data. What you can do here is have several entities that construct your index, and execute those entities with several separate HTTP calls to the DIH, thus creating more than one instance of the DIH process within 1 core and 1 DIH handler.

ie:

curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/dataimport?command=full-import&entity=suppliers"; & curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/dataimport?command=full-import&entity=parts"; & curl "http://localhost:8983/solr/core1/dataimport?command=full-import&entity=companies"; &

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler#Commands

Cheers,

Tim