Besides liking or not the behaviour we are getting in 3.x, Im required to
keep everything working as close as possible as before.

Have no idea why this is happening, but setting that field to true solved
the issue, now I get the exact same amount of items in both queries!

I wouldn't bother checking why that was so since we'll be moving away from
the older version, which shows the inconsistency.

But thanks a million.

If you have a SO user I can mark yours as answer here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18661996/solr-4-x-vs-3-x-parsedquery-differences

Cheers