: I'm not sure if this means there's a bug in the client library I'm using
: (solrj 4.3) or is a bug in the server SOLR 4.3?  Or is there something in
: my data that's causing the issue?

It's unlikly that an error in the data you pass to SolrJ methods would be
causing this problem -- i'm pretty sure it's not even a problem with the
raw xml data being streamed, it appears to be a problem with how that data
is getting shunked across the wire.

My best guess is that the most likely causes are either...
 * a bug in the HttpClient versio you are using on the client side
 * a bug in the ChunkedInputFilter you are using on the server side
 * a misconfiguration on the HttpClient object you are using with SolrJ
   (ie: claiming it's sending chunked when it's not?)

-Hoss