I wouldn't say I love this idea, but wouldn't it be safe to LVM snapshot
the Solr index? I think this may even work on a live server, depending on
some file I/O details. Has anyone tried this?

An in-Solr solution sounds more elegant, but considering the tlog concern
Shalin mentioned, I think this may work as an interim solution.

Cheers!

Tim