On 10/7/2013 3:08 PM, Mark wrote:
Some specific questions:
- When working with HttpSolrServer should we keep around instances for ever or
should we create a singleton that can/should be used over and over?
- Is there a way to change the collection after creating the server or do we
need to create a new server for each collection?

If at all possible, you should create your server object and use it for the life of your application. SolrJ is threadsafe. If there is any part of it that's not, the javadocs should say so - the SolrServer implementations definitely are.

By using the word "collection" you are implying that you are using SolrCloud ... but earlier you said HttpSolrServer, which implies that you are NOT using SolrCloud.

With HttpSolrServer, your base URL includes the core or collection name - "http://server:port/solr/corename"; for example. Generally you will need one object for each core/collection, and another object for server-level things like CoreAdmin.

With SolrCloud, you should be using CloudSolrServer instead, another implementation of SolrServer that is constantly aware of the SolrCloud clusterstate. With that object, you can use setDefaultCollection, and you can also add a "collection" parameter to each SolrQuery or other request object.

Thanks,
Shawn