The corresponding patch for Solr 4.2.1 LotsOfCores can be found in SOLR-5316,
including the new Cores options :
- "numBuckets" to create a subdirectory based on a hash on the corename %
numBuckets in the core Datadir
- "Auto" with 3 differents values :
  1) false : default behaviour
  2) createLoad : create, if not exist, and load the core on the fly on the
first incoming request (update, select)
  3) onlyLoad : load the core on the fly on the first incoming request (update,
select), if exist on disk

Concerning :
- sharing the underlying solrconfig object, the configset introduced in JIRA
SOLR-4478 seems to be the solution for non-SolrCloud mode.
We need to test it for our use case. If another solution exists, please tell
me. We are very interested in such functionality and to contribute, if we can.

- the possibility of lotsOfCores in SolrCloud, we don't know in details how
SolrCloud is working.
But one possible limit is the maximum number of entries that can be added to a
zookeeper node.
Maybe, a solution will be just a kind of hashing in the zookeeper tree.

- the time to discover cores in Solr 4.4 : with spinning disk under linux, all
cores with transient="true" and loadOnStartup="false", the linux buffer cache
empty before starting Solr :
15K cores is around 4 minutes. It's linear in the cores number, so for 50K it's
more than 13 minutes. In fact, it corresponding to the time to read all
core.properties files.
To do that in background and to block on that request until core discovery is
complete, should not work for us (due to the worst case).
So, we will just disable the core Discovery, because we don't need to know all
cores from the start. Start Solr without any core entries in solr.xml, and we
will use the cores Auto option to create load or only load the core on the fly,
based on the existence of the core on the disk (absolute path calculated from
the core name).

Thanks for your interest,

Olivier