If you consider what n-grams do this should make sense to you.  Consider the
following piece of data:

White iPod

If the field is fed through a bigram filter (n-gram with size of 2) the
resulting token stream would appear as such:

wh hi it te
ip po od

The usual use of n-grams is to match those partial tokens, essentially giving
you a great deal of power in creating non-wildcard partial matches.  How you
use this is up to your imagination, but one easy use is in partial matches in
autosuggest features.

I can't speak for the intent behind the way it's coded, but it makes a great
deal of sense to me that positional data would be seen as unnecessary since the
intent of n-grams typically doesn't collide with phrase searches.  If you need
both behaviors it's far better to use copyField and have one field dedicated to
standard tokenization and token filters, and another field for n-grams.

I hope that's useful to you.