Shamik:

You're right, the use of NOW shouldn't be making that much of a difference
between versions. FYI, though, here's a way to use NOW and re-use fq
clauses:

http://searchhub.org/2012/02/23/date-math-now-and-filter-queries/

It may well be this setting:

<autoSoftCommit>
        <maxTime>1000</maxTime>
</autoSoftCommit>

Every second (assuming you're indexing), you're throwing away all your
top-level caches and executing any autowarm queries etc. And if you _don't_
have any autowarming queries, you may not be filling caches, an expensive
process. Try lengthening that out to, say, a minute (60000) or even longer
and see if that makes a difference. If that's the culprit, you at least
have a place to start.

If that's not it, it's also possible you're seeing decompression.

How many documents are you returning and how big are they? There's some
anecdotal comments that the default stored field decompression for either a
large number of doc or very large docs may be playing a role here. Try
setting fl=id (don't return any stored fields). If that is faster, this
might be your problem.

queryResultCache is often not very high re: hit ratio. It's usually used
for paging, so if your users aren't hitting the "next" page you may not hit
many.

Best,
Erick