As far as I know about magento, it's DB schema is designed for extensible
property storage and relationships between db tables are kind of complex.

Product has its attribute sets and properties which are stored in different
tables. Configurable product may have different attribute values for each
of it's sub simple products.

Handle relationship like this in DIH won't be easy, especially when you
want to group attributes of a configurable product into one document.

But if you just need to search on name and description but not other
attributes, you can try write DIH on catalog_product_flat_x tables, magento
may have several of them.

We used to use lucene core to provide search on magento products, what we
do is using SOAP service provided by magento to get products, and then
converting them to lucene document. Indexes are updated daily. This hides
lots of magento implementation details but it's kind of slow.