Sent: 11/21/2013 8:42 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Periodic Slowness on Solr Cloud
Lots of questions. Okay.

In digging a little deeper and looking at the config I see that
<nrtMode>true</nrtMode> is commented out.  I believe this is the default
setting. So I don't know if NRT is enabled or not. Maybe just a red herring.

I don't know what Garbage Collector we're using. In this test I'm running
Solr 4.5.1 using Jetty from the example directory.

The CPU on the 8 nodes all stay around 70% use during the test. The nodes
have 28GB of RAM. Java is using about 6GB and the rest is being used by OS
cache.

To perform the test we're running 200 concurrent threads in JMeter. The
threads hit HAProxy which loadbalances the requests among the nodes. Each
query is for a random word out of a list of about 10,000 words. Some of the
queries have faceting turned on.

Because we're heavily loading the system the queries are returning quite
slowly. For a simple search, the average response time was 300ms. The peak
response time was 11,000ms. The spikes in latency seem to occur about every
2.5 minutes.

I haven't spent that much time messing with SolrConfig, so most of the
settings are the out-of-the-box defaults.

Where should I start to look?

Thanks so much!

-Dave