The first thing I'd do is not send an absolute path. What
happens if you just sent -Dsolr.data.dir=data? (no '/')?

We had this discussion a while ago when we were working
on auto-discovery, and it turns out that
there _are_ legitimate cases in which more than one
core/collection can point to the same data dir. You have to very
carefully control who writes to the core, and I wouldn't do it
unless there was no choice, but some people find it useful.

And, in general, I wouldn't mix and match the _core_ admin API
with the _collections_ api unless you're very confident in what
you are doing.

Why isn't just letting the default data.dir location working for you?
There are good reasons to make it explicit, mostly just checking
that you're not over-thinking the problem. Usually they'll be located
in a reasonable place.

Best,
Erick