Not sure if you are really stating the problem here.

If you don't use Solr sharding, (I also assume you aren't using SolrCloud),
and I'm guessing you are a single core (but can you confirm).

As I understand Solr's logic, for a single query on a single core, that
will only use 1 thread (ignoring updates, background merges, etc).  A
Lucene index (with multiple segments) has each segment read sequentially,
so a search must scan all the segments and that inherently is a
single-threaded activity.

The fact that the search uses less CPU is not really the issue (it might
actually be a GOOD thing, it could mean the code is more efficient!), so I
would consider that a red herring.  The real issue is that the search takes
longer in elapsed time.

The usual questions apply:

1)  how did you upgrade, did you port your config, or start from a fresh
Solr 4 config and add your custom stuff to it.
2)  Is your new index comparable to your old one, does it have more
segments, how did you fill it (bulk import or upgrade of old 1.4.1 index),
and what is your merge policy for the index?

Upgrades from such an old version of Solr have been asked before on the
list, the consensus is that you probably need to re-tune your configuration
(starting with a Solr 4 basic config) since Solr 4 is so different under
the hood from 1.x