I was reading the code and it looks like it could throw an NPE if
java.sql.Statement#execute() returns false which can happen if there
are no results (although most drivers return an empty resultset
instead):

if (stmt.execute(query)) {
          resultSet = stmt.getResultSet();
        }
        LOG.trace("Time taken for sql :"
                + (System.currentTimeMillis() - start));
        colNames = readFieldNames(resultSet.getMetaData());

Can you try using the debug mode and paste its response?