Shamik,

You still need to keep docs in the same group on the same shard with the
CollapsingQParserPlugin. If you use the group id as the shard-key with
SolrCloud's automatic document routing (
http://searchhub.org/2013/06/13/solr-cloud-document-routing/), the groups
will automatically end up on the same shard.

Joel Bernstein
Search Engineer at Heliosearch