You also said you have multiple instances (> 15) but are they all reading
the same 8Gb data (in which case it must be static or you'd get locking
problems) or is it partitioned/sharded somehow?  I'd have the same
questions as the others, query rates, how are your queries distributed over
the instances, etc?

With the 15 instances, is that 15 cores in 1 JVM or 15 JVMs?  The latter
would presumably be eating 24Gb of RAM quite easily (even 2GB heap per JVM
would be 30Gb of RAM), but the former would need a large heap (and 64-bit
JVM) to be of any use I would expect.