On 2/11/2014 3:28 PM, Susheel Kumar wrote:
Thanks, Otis for quick reply. So for ZK do you recommend separate servers and
if so how many for initial Solr cloud cluster setup.

In a minimal 3-server setup, all servers would run zookeeper and two of them would also run Solr.With this setup, you can survive the failure of any of those three machines, even if it dies completely.

If the third machine is only running zookeeper, two fast CPU cores and 2GB of RAM would be plenty. For 100 million documents, I would personally recommend at least 8 CPU cores on the machines running Solr, ideally provided by at least two separate physical CPUs. Otis recommended 32GB of RAM as a starting point. You would very likely want more.

One copy of my 90 million document index uses two servers to run all the shards. Because I have two copies of the index, I have four servers. Each server has 64GB of RAM. This is **NOT** running SolrCloud, but if it were, I would have zookeeper running on three of those servers.

Thanks,
Shawn