Thanks a lot Shawn. Changing the appends filtering based on your suggestion
worked. The part which confused me bigtime is the syntax I've been using so
far without an issue (barring the q.op part).

<lst name="appends">
     <str name="fq">Source:"TestHelp" | Source:"downloads" |
-AccessMode:"internal" | -workflowparentid:[* TO *]</str>
</lst>

This has been working as expected and applies the filter correctly. Just
curious, if its an invalid syntax, how's Solr handling this ?