On 2/21/2014 2:15 PM, T. Kuro Kurosaka wrote:
If I want to search across cores, can I use (abuse?) the distributed search? My simple experiment seems to confirm this but I'd like to know if there is
any drawbacks other than those of distributed search listed here?
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch#Distributed_Searching_Limitations

If all cores are served by the same machine, does a distributed
search actually make sub-search requests over HTTP? Or is it
clever enough to skip the HTTP connection?

As long as the cores use the same schema, or at least have enough fields in common, searching across multiple cores with the shards parameter will work just fine. You would need the uniqueKey field to have the same name and underlying type on all cores, and any fields that you are searching would also have to be in all the cores.

It does make subrequests with HTTP. If the address that is being contacted is local, the connection is very fast and does not actually go out on the network, so it has very low overhead.

Thanks,
Shawn