The main reference for this approach is here:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SpatialForTimeDurations

Hoss’s illustrations he developed for the meetup presentation are great.
However, there are bugs in the instruction — specifically it’s important
to slightly buffer the query and choose an appropriate maxDistErr.  Also,
it’s more preferable to use the rectangle range query style of spatial
query (e.g. field:[“minX minY” TO “maxX maxY”] as opposed to using
“Intersects(minX minY maxX maxY)”.  There’s no technical difference but
the latter is deprecated and will eventually be removed from Solr 5 /
trunk.

All this said, recognize this is a bit of a hack (one that works well).
There is a good chance a more ideal implementation approach is going to be
developed this year.

~ David