Right, that patch is really about fixing the distribution solrconfig file...

What you need to do is (and I'm assuming you're running SolrCloud)
is change the solrconfig.xml file, push it up to ZK with the client tools
and restart all the nodes in your collection, or reload all the cores. I
don't remember if the collections API that does this for you is in 4.0
or not....

If you're not running SolrCloud, you still need to up date all your configs
_and_ restart (or reload) the cores.

Best,
Erick