1. What is your solr version? In 4.x family the proximity searches have
been optimized among other query types.
2. Do you use the filter queries? What is the situation with the cache
utilization ratios? Optimize (= i.e. bump up the respective cache sizes) if
you have low hitratios and many evictions.
3. Can you avoid storing some fields and only index them? When the field is
stored and it is retrieved in the result, there are couple of disk seeks
per field=> search slows down. Consider SSD disks.
4. Do you monitor your system in terms of RAM / cache stats / GC? Do you
observe STW GC pauses?
5. How often do you commit & do you have the autowarming / external warming
configured?
6. If you use faceting, consider storing DocValues for facet fields.

some solr wiki docs:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceProblems?highlight=%28%28SolrPerformanceFactors%29%29