There are no arbitrary limits on the number of collections but yes
there are practical limits. For example, the cluster state can become
a bottleneck. There is a lot of work happening on finding and
addressing these problems. See

Boot up time is because of:
1) Core discovery, schema/config parsing etc
2) Transaction log replay on startup
3) Wait time for enough replicas to become available before leader
election happens

You can't do much about 1 right now I think. For #2, you can keep your
transaction logs smaller by a hard commit before shutdown. For #3
there is a leaderVoteWait settings but I'd rather not touch that
unless it becomes a problem.

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Chris W <chris1980....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
>  Is there a limit on the # of collections solrcloud can support? Can
> zk/solrcloud handle 1000s of collections?
>
> Also i see that the bootup time of solrcloud increases with increase in #
> of cores. I do not have any expensive warm up queries. How do i speedup
> solr startup?
>
> --
> Best

Regards,